Setting Up a Game Plan for Your New Year’s Resolution
Bringing in the New Year with a new you is a great way to focus on following through with your weight loss goals. But, many people set themselves up for failure by jumping into New Year’s weight loss without a plan. Eventually, the drive fades and life goes back to how is was last year. We’ve compiled some tips for success for your New Year’s weight loss.
- Set realistic goals. One major problem many people face when trying to work towards achieving personal goals is setting their expectations too high. Set realistic goals that lead to success rather than failure. If you have long-term goals you would like to achieve, try breaking them down into a few different goals.
- Write it down. Make yourself accountable by writing down what you want to achieve and posting it somewhere you will see it each day. Get your family on board to help you reach your goals and to keep you accountable of your actions.
- Be specific. It is easy to set a goal that is vague, such as “I want to lose weight this year.” But one of the ways to be successful is to set goals that are more specific. This is because you can see your progress as you go along. For example, if you set a goal of losing five pounds in a month and see that you have lost two pounds the first two weeks, you see yourself working towards your goal. Being specific can lead to a bigger drive for success.
- Develop a plan. Make a timeline of the steps needed to achieve your goal. As you go along, crossing out the steps you have accomplished is one way to stay positive. Watching your list get smaller is one way to stay motivated.
- Believe in yourself. One of the biggest factors that weighs in towards success is your attitude. Stay positive. Reel in friends and family who motivate you and tell them about your progress. Don’t lose sight of your goals and don’t be too hard on yourself.
- Ask for help. If you find yourself stuck, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Write down a list of positive supports that you can turn to when you need some extra encouragement. Planning this list ahead of time can really help when you are stressed.
- Don’t beat yourself up. There will be moments when you fail at achieving exactly what you want at the exact time, don’t beat yourself up. Tomorrow is another day. Get up and brush yourself off and start fresh the next day. Be flexible.
- Reward yourself. Don’t be too focused on achieving the goal that you punish yourself along the way. Focus on achievements and reward yourself. This will boost your morale and keep you on track towards the biggest accomplishment-reaching your goals.
Each year millions of people set New Year’s Resolution goals that fizzle out as the year goes on and old habits make their way back to the surface. Follow these steps to achieve your goals, be successfully, and see the weight loss results you want.